(03) 8822 2888
You can bookmark favourites using the star icons throughout the website.
Your favourites will be accessible from any part of the Anderson More website!
Its traditional centre is on Ferntree Gully Road. The area is more a plateau than a hill, and is the site of two local water storages. A settler, Thomas Wilkinson, is generally accepted as giving the area its name because of his association with Notting Hill in London. He was a carrier between Oakleigh and Ferntree Gully and in the late 1870s opened a refreshment stop at Notting Hill, 4 km. from Oakleigh.
Notting Hill Post Office opened on 4 April 1887 and closed in 1975.
Ferntree Gully Road was the main thoroughfare between Mulgrave shire and Oakleigh, and Notting Hill attracted a relatively high density of farms. In 1920 there were dairy and poultry farms and market gardens, and the families agitated for a school which was finally opened in 1927. The school had an active Young Farmers’ Club with livestock kept in the school grounds, and in 1937 was judged Victoria’s best Young Farmers’ Club. Notting Hill Primary School was closed in the mid ’70s with Students transferred to the newly built Monash Primary School The shire transferred its offices from Oakleigh to Notting Hill in 1920, where they remained until 1955 when the growing area of Glen Waverley was the site chosen for larger offices.
The residential area of Notting Hill (formerly Clayton North, Postcode 3168) consists of some 700 houses, bordered to the north and west by Ferntree Gully and Blackburn Roads, and to the south and east by factories. The development, Westerfield Estate, was built by A.V. Jennings as their first ‘planned suburb’, with no through roads, and easy pedestrian access to shops and schools. The first houses went up in the late 1950s. The small shopping strip on Westerfield Drive originally consisted of a Milk Bar, Butcher, small Supermarket, Green Grocer, Hairdresser and Chemist. As of 2012 only the Milk Bar remains, the remaining shopfronts are now small business offices.
Monash High School (later Secondary College) was originally opened in 1965 on the grounds of Notting Hill Primary School, moving to a permanent location at the corner of Duerdin and Nantilla Road. The Community funded Westerfield Kindergarten was opened in the late 1960s. Monash Primary School was constructed in mid 1970’s to replace the largely portable classroom Notting Hill Primary School. From the early 1960s Monash University has adjoined the southern boundary of Notting Hill, and in the 1970s the Rusden Teachers College (later a Campus of Deakin University) was built on the eastern boundary of the estate.